Monday, April 19, 2010

Decorating on a Shoestring Budget

I've been getting various blog comments, facebook messages, etc about my decorating. I'm glad you all enjoy it! I absolutely love decorating, especially on a shoestring budget. I know most people would think that isn't fun, however it gives you the chance to be creative and have a challenge. Here are a few inexpensive pieces of decor that you may spot in some of my most recent NC Apartment Pics.
1. Wire baskets on desk - purchased 4 of them at a garage sales for a quarter a piece.

2. The wooden art leaning against the wall on my desk - purchased this thanks to my bff Sarah Spear. We were exploring various estate sales in Little Rock, AR. I thought this was a cool piece (and come to find out there is history behind it from an air force base or something of that sort)but was going to pass it up because I was in one of those moods where I didn't want to clutter things up. Sarah kept bugging me to buy it, so I finally said FIIINE...I'll get it if it's a quarter. I walked up to the the guy selling everything and asked, "how much for this?" He said ugh...how 'bout a quarter? So here we go, a great piece of art for 25 cents made it to NC with me. Thanks Sarah for being pushy as usual ;)

3. Blue lamp located in the bedroom and green lamp on our desk - TJ Maxx purchases, $29 each. This is a big purchase for me. Jake may beg to differ haha! You have to be patient and visit places like this often. Sometimes you'll find treasures and sometimes you'll walk out empty handed. Keep in mind that new truck loads often arrive on Tuesdays, at least in Quincy they did!!!

4. Framed pic on wall behind desk. This is an inexpensive black frame with a gift bag inside. You have to thank LuAnn (my mama) for this one.

5. Huge metal bowl thing on my ottoman in the living room that looks like a flying saucer. I got this for .25 at Sonia Brinks garage sale last summer. It was originally from IKEA.

6. White dresser that our t.v. is setting on. I got this for about $50 from our family friends, the Kurtz's. I painted it white!

7. Framed art behind couch - These are just posters from dollar stores and hobby lobby. Frames are cheap. You might want to keep your eye out for frames at places like TJ Maxx in the art section. You know, the pre-framed art they sell? Well even if the picture inside is ugly, buy it for the cool frame!

8. Boxed black and white pics hanging on the living room wall vertically. These are super cheap at hobby lobby. Just go to any Kodak kiosk and blow up your favorite pics and make them black and white, or color if you prefer. Don't forget to check out picnik.com for cool editing tools!

9. Books, books, books! These are always great tools for decorating or making lamps set up a little higher if they are too small for your table. Just take the cover off of hard back books!

10. Have fun! Send me any ideas that you have!

Love & Rockets!
Liz

P.S. It's always fun to marry a guy that likes watching HGTV with you! Don't tell Jake I said that! Jake gets all the credit for placement of furniture in our new apartment. He's getting good at this stuff...but not too good! We might get concerned if he gets too good haha.

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent! I was going to say you need to do a room by room source list a la Young House Love (http://www.younghouselove.com/photo-gallery-2/room-by-room-source-list/). Please tell me you read that blog!

    ReplyDelete