Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Finding Pure Joy in Tragedy


This week I have been thinking non-stop about the Mitchell family.  I can't get them out of my mind.  The last several days has been a spiritual journey for me, as well as many others all over the world.  John and Shawna Mitchell are a couple from our home church in Quincy, IL.  God has taken them through a journey over the last 8 months or so that many of us can in no way relate to, other than the pure joy of the news you are expecting.  Some can even relate to the joy (and worry) of finding out that you are pregnant with twins.  I can't relate to either one of these experiences (yet), but I can imagine the pure love that must overcome many mothers and fathers to be.  I am sure that a majority of people on this earth have no way of understanding what came next.  I'm not sure even John and Shawna understood, but I do know they understood that all the glory goes to God.  That He is our rock, and that their bundles of joy were in His hands.  The Mitchell's soon learned that their twin boys were conjoined.  Now, let me preface this story with the fact that I have never talked to John & Shawna about their pregnancy, and do not know even half of the trials they faced.  All I know is the information I read on the facebook updates and news from back home.  Please do not quote me on all of the medical details, however I know there were complications along the way.  The boys (Kad & Jal) were conjoined in a place that I believe could be surgically corrected at birth, and their survival was promising.  Shawna & John left for Philadelphia last Wednesday where they would stay until the birth of their boys.  This they did, however long story short the boys did not survive.  Kal & Jad ran into our fathers arms Monday afternoon.  Shawna delivered the boys yesterday morning at 11am eastern time.  According to facebook the delivery went well, the boys are beautiful, tiny feet were casted, and memories were made with these 2 very precious gifts of God.  Our worldly desires are to hold these babies on this earth alive and well, however God had other plans (better plans).  He knows best, beyond our understanding.  Kal & Jad were called home to be with with our Lord and Savior.  We will have to wait a little longer to meet these special boys, but that is okay.  We can find rest in God.  I found myself consumed with this tragedy, yet I also found myself celebrating and singing praises to our awesome Lord for the lives that Kal & Jad lived to the fullest in their mothers womb.  I sat on my bed yesterday morning from 10:40 am to 11:30am signing praises, blaring Chris Tomlin music, on my knees, jumping up and down, and glorifying His wondrous works.  Jad & Kal have shown the light to so many individuals.  More heard about the amazing God we serve because of their precious little lives than many of us will ever share in a lifetime.  Thank you Mitchell Family for shining.  Thank you for giving all the glory to God.  What an inspiration you are.  

"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken." Psalms 34:17-20


No comments:

Post a Comment